Sunday, May 25, 2014

An Account Of the Hope That Is In Me



                                                             Easter 6 Year A 2014
Father Adam Trambley
May 25, 2014 St.John’s Sharon

Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you. 

Peter is continuing his letter this week to Christians who were scattered and isolated across the Roman Empire.  Last week we heard how we are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people.  This week he addresses those undergoing suffering and persecution, encouraging them to do good, not to be afraid and have Jesus Christ as Lord in their hearts.  Then he says:

Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you.

Peter wants those facing Roman officials at their trials to be ready, and he wants us in our trials of life, to be ready as well.  He wants us to hold our hope at the forefront of our minds, so that we can give an account to anyone who wants to know why we are Christians.  He wants us to hold our hope at the forefront of our minds so that, with gentleness and reverence, we might provide a convincing and winsome account of the ways that God has blessed us so that others might accept the good news of the gospel, as well.  But most of all, Peter wants us to hold our hope at the forefront of our minds so that when we are faced with the choice to struggle towards our Christian hope or to succumb to the temptations of safety, security, status or convenience, we stare laser-eyed on the prize, taking up our cross and following into the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, who embodies all our hope. 

Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you.

We need to hear Peter’s instruction, because I think we have allowed our hope to become hazy.  We have gotten a better at thinking about why we love St. John’s and how we can invite others to join us as we worship God, care for people and grow as Christians.  Some of us have even worked on elevator speeches for our parish or the Episcopal Church, preparing ourselves to share what we are doing with others.  All of these pieces are important, but they have to flow out of the deep hope in Jesus Christ that grounds everything else.  And, judging from the number of dying churches out there, most contemporary Christians are unprepared to given an articulate accounting of our hope to those who do not have any hope.  When we meet people with a hope that has faded or been forgotten, we can bring them into our church family to rekindle that failing flame of faith.  But we are too often tongue-tied when talking to people who were never taught anything about God and whose hearts have a hole where hope should reside.  Then again, we also need to hold clearly such a compelling hope that we could continue as Christians should kings seek to kill us for following our crucified Lord.  Peter wants us to give an account of a hope held at that deep a level in our hearts.

Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you.
  
As best as I can explain it, here is an account of the hope within me.  I offer it to spark your own hopes, as well as to remind myself of it, since sharing our hope does indeed strengthen it.

My hope is that the Kingdom of God is at hand, and through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, I will abide in it forever.  But just saying that sentence, as important as it is, merely scratches the surface.  Allow me to expand.

My hope is that God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, and my Father in heaven, created me and the rest of the universe out of love just because he wanted to.

My hope is that when God created me, he meant it when he said that “It is very good,” and that he loves me unconditionally for who I am, not for what I do or don’t do, especially at those times when I can’t believe that I am good or loveable at all.

My hope is that we were not made for sin or death, but to worship and glorify God in a great fellowship of love with all our human brothers and sisters, the full angelic choirs, and all creation, that we had such a life in the Garden of Eden, and that God wants to restore us to that life of the Kingdom of God.  

My hope is that God has been actively at work in his creation from the beginning of time and throughout human history, calling to us whenever we have fallen so that we could grope after him and sometimes find him.

My hope is that God never wants the death of sinners, but that he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in great kindness, and that there is great rejoicing in heaven anytime a sinner repents and returns to God, even when it is me.

My hope is that God loved the world so much that he sent his only Son, the eternal Word of God by whom all things were made, in whom we live and move and have our being, to become flesh and hang out with us as a human being, so that we might not die, but have eternal life.

My hope is that Jesus Christ was fully God and fully human so that his life and teaching provide the example and instruction of how to live a godly Kingdom life on earth and that everywhere he went, God goes also.

My hope is that Jesus suffered and died so that nowhere is now separated from God’s love, since God in Jesus Christ had voluntarily gone into every place where human beings had cut themselves off from God, and that now God can be found in the midst of every human suffering, every human trial and every human death, supporting and walking alongside of us.

My hope is that Jesus Christ rose from the dead, breaking the chains and gates of death so that they can no longer hold anyone who wants to leave and follow Jesus out.

My hope is that through Jesus’ resurrection, all sin, even mine, can be forgiven, because nothing we do, no matter how horrific, is ultimately beyond the redemption of Jesus who calls sinners to repentance, heals the broken, and brings the dead back to life.

My hope is that when I die, or when anyone else dies, they travel, if they want to, through the broken doors of death and walk into a place of paradise and rest with those who have gone before and await the final resurrection.

My hope is that at the last day the Lord Jesus Christ returns to earth and that all the dead are raised to life in a physical, imperishable body that is somehow akin to the ones we have now, but without the sickness, pain and death.

My hope is that on that last day, Jesus Christ will judge the living and the dead, as that as I encounter Jesus at the judgment in my resurrected body, every sinful part of me that keeps me from fully loving God and my neighbor the way I want to is healed, burned away or otherwise removed, so that I can have eternal life as the person God made me to be and not as the feeble blob of fears, insecurities, and selfish desires that control way too much of my current, mortal life.

My hope is that everyone else who has ever lived will encounter Jesus Christ in the same way so that I will spend eternity with billions of loving, dynamic, creative, fully-alive human beings showing forth the image and likeness of God in all we do.

My hope is that I will spend an eternity in the presence and glory of God, experiencing the joy of being with him at a level beyond my wildest imaginations.

My hope is that I will spend eternity with the communion of saints so that I can come to love and be loved by each and every child of God who has ever lived at a depth and intimacy that we can only catch fleeting glimpses of today in our deepest relationships.

My hope is that this life occurs in a new and eternal Jerusalem, as city of surpassing beauty with the glory and splendor of every people and race, every tribe and tongue, every culture and civilization being a part of it, with the Lamb as its light and center and temple.

My hope is that this life in the eternal Kingdom of God is brought to fulfillment at the last day, but that we can get glimpses of that life today because, as Jesus taught, the Kingdom of God is at hand.

My hope is that we can be forgiven of sins today, through Jesus Christ who died and rose for us, and that we can begin anew every time we fail.

My hope is that through the power of the Spirit of Jesus that he sent to be with us, we are able to build the Body of Christ, the Church of God, and help one another to live in ways that more and more resemble the lives we will live in the great city of God for all eternity.

My hope is that as I struggle to love God with all my heart, soul, strength and mind and to love my neighbor as myself, I help myself and those around me to live more fully as citizens of the Kingdom of God and to come to share the hope that is within me.

That’s an account of the hope that is within me.  Yours is probably similar, but with be some differences, based on your own particular experiences with God.  Whatever particular emphases your own account might have, I, like Peter, encourage you to think about it.  You might want to write it down, or even share it.  I’d love to hear some this summer, and would gladly cede sermon time to others willing to give an account of hope in them with this rather sympathetic congregation.  This church is good place to practice before you may be called for a defense of it before kings, governors or any local lost folks in your neighborhood.  But however you do it, hold that hope at the forefront of your minds so that you are able to do good, not to be afraid and have Jesus Christ as Lord in your hearts.

Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment